Friday, January 21, 2011

Male Muse: Oscar Wilde

Oscar Wilde is my hero. His life and aesthetics continues to fascinate me. He was the arbiter of culture, refinement and wit. He was quite the handsome package, being one of the famous examples of a dandy, sort of like a metrosexual, well before the 20th Century. (See my past post on dandyism, "The handy dandy, Dandy")
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."
"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."
"You can never be overdressed or overeducated."
"Women are made to be loved not understood."
"Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit."
"Youth is wasted on the young."
"To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable."
"Crying is for plain women. Pretty women go shopping."

"No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist."
"I beg your pardon I didn't recognise you - I've changed a lot."
"If you don’t get everything you want, think of the things you don’t get that you don’t want.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Admin, hello! here are having problems with your site. malware warning Write me. icq 989567856647

I am 23, going on 13

This has almost nothing to do with the Sound of Music. Let me just say that apparently I’m 30 going on 13. I don’t know what happened bu...