Friday, January 27, 2012

Hollywood in the trenches

I always love drama and romance in a WWI backdrop. I'm actually learning more about shell shock, mustard gas, trench rats, the battle of Somme and the Spanish flu pandemic in 1918, than I did in my modern history classes back in high school. I feel so enriched! Plus, I love these period piece films because of the military costumes and posh frocks. I mean, I was having a huge fashion meltdown recently, while watching Downton Abbey season 2:
"OMG, Mary's beaded dress, and gloves, and the whole outfit OMG."
"OMG, Mary's red dress at dinner."
"OMG, Mary's black dress with sheer sleeves."
"OMG, wow."
"OOOOOOOOOHHHHHMYGAAAD, Mary's OTHER black dress and jewels!"


Movies I've been watching that inspired this post: 
War horse (2011)
Atonement (2007)
In love and war (1996)
Legends of the fall (1994)
A very long engagement (2004)
Joyeux Noël (2006)
Now, can we all let out a collective *sigh* at how hard it must've been to have a loved one away at war - in a time with hardly any communication? It just makes my social-media-addicted-heart break.
Sources: empireonline.com, imbd.com, google image search

No comments:

I am 23, going on 13

This has almost nothing to do with the Sound of Music. Let me just say that apparently I’m 30 going on 13. I don’t know what happened bu...