Friday, May 14, 2010

Styling Critique

A while ago, I came across this particular fashion photograph and it appealed to me straight away. I didn't exactly know why I liked it so much. Maybe subconsciously, I want a musician arm-candy? (A trend amongst Hollywood starlets, Nicole Richie, Paris Hilton, Ashlee Simpson, Kate Moss, Kirsten Dunst, and Agyness Deyn.) So I decided to address what it is about this that makes it so charming, through of course my favourite exercise, critiquing!
RUSSH Magazine January 2010, Fashion Photography
This fashion photograph resembles a paparazzi shot of a celebrity couple. It isn't a commercial look.
Posing is both very natural and well-styled. Even without props, this shot tells a narrative.
The female model is the focal point. Your eyes lay on her first because she is visually the star against the dark backdrop/scene. Blonde hair, fair skin, pale eyes, vibrant top, and glittering skirt. It is all well thought out. Kudos to the stylist and photographer.
The male model on the other hand is dressed in trendy street wear that speaks "rockstar-off-duty", with clever effortless layering.
What also makes this successful, is that the two looks complement each other. No one look seems to overpower the other.
Thinking like a stylist, I know even the colours in this photograph were given great thought and planning. This is a split-completmentary colour scheme, with a striking contrasting orange velvet tank top and subdued blue and a desaturated green (khaki). And overall it has a very warm tone.
Honestly, you would not particularly call this a 'pretty' picture, but because of all the reasons I stated, it works!

No comments:

I am 23, going on 13

This has almost nothing to do with the Sound of Music. Let me just say that apparently I’m 30 going on 13. I don’t know what happened bu...